Apple Inc. and CSL Ltd.
1) List 5 main product lines made and sold by Apple
Apple Inc. has the following five central product lines:
* Mac: Includes Apple??™s range of personal computers and software. Apple currently offers three models of laptops: Macbook, Macbook pro and Macbook air and 3 desktop models: iMac, Mac mini and Macpro.
* iPod: is Apple??™s portable media player range which includes the iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, iPod Touch & iPod Classic
* iPhone: is Apple??™s line of smart phones. The first iPhone was released in January 2007.
* iPad: is Apple??™s tablet computer which was released in April 2010 and is revolutionizing the personal computer market
* Itunes: is Apple??™s media browser which plays al l media on Mac, ipod, iPad and iPhone and is connected to the iTunes store where customers can purchase music, Tv shows, movies, podcasts, audiobooks and games.
2) Describe the geographical spread of Apple stores
Apple has over 300 retail stores in 10 different countries. In Australia, Apple currently has 10 retail stores, 6 of which are in NSW. Since entering the broader consumer electronics market, Apple now competes against a broader range of multinational businesses
3) Provides a brief summary of Apple??™s establishment and growth
Apple Inc. is ranked in the top 20 best brands and is a global trendsetter in the consumer electronics and personal computers market. Up until the release of the iPod in 2001, Apple competed primarily in the personal computer market. However, since entering the broader consumer electronics market, Apple now competes against a broader range of multinational businesses.
4) Identify 5 competitors to Apple
Apple??™s main competitors in the personal computer market include Microsoft in operating system software, Hewlett- Packard, Dell & Acer in hardware & SanDisk Sansa.
5) Provide a brief overview of the growth and development of CSL ltd.
Commonwealth Serum Laboratories was established in 1916 and was originally a wholly government owned enterprise. The business currently has over 10,000 employees working in 27 countries. It generates a huge income- over $1 billion in sales over the pas year and net profits have risen by 22% over the last financial year.
6) Outline the process of privatization
CSL was originally a wholly government owned enterprise. However, CSL was privatized in the 1990s. The company was incorporated in 1991 and was listed on the ASX in 1994.
7) Using, statistics, explain the scale and reach of CSL as a global business
CSL is a global company with over 100,000 employees and with operations in 27 nations. It makes medical and pharmaceutical products for the domestic, regional and global market. The company derived a profit of $1,053 million in 2010 which is a growth of 22% on the previous year. The sales revenue for the year was 4.5 billion- a growth
8) Explain the organisational structure of CSL
The business formally went global in 2004 through its acquisition of Aventis Behring. CSL is a major Australian business that operates in a very important industry sector- that of health care, both preventative and responsive, CEO is Dr. Brian McNamee, who is also the company??™s Managing Director.